How do we figure out the will of God, former procrastinators? Discerning whether or not a prompting is from the Lord is vital before we say “yes” or “no.”
We need not muddle along, hoping we’re okay. These aids help me discern what is of the Lord and what is not:
First, attitude. Position yourself to hear from Him.
- Obey what you already know is God’s will. If you’re resisting Him in some area, why would He give light elsewhere?
- Surrender your will to His. If you treat His will as a suggestion you might choose to do, then why ask? Will you do what He says?
Next, seeking His direction. This concept came from the Navigator ministry years ago. The fingers of your hand represent a good way to discern God’s will. The strength of each finger corresponds to the reliability of the guidance provided there.
- Thumb – God’s Word. Is what you are considering in line with scripture? God will not direct you into something that opposes His scripture. This is the strongest and most important guidance.
- Index finger – prayer. Do I listen to Him or just tell Him what I’m planning or want and ask Him to bless it?
- Third finger – Godly counsel. Seek wisdom on this matter from someone who is wise in the Word of God and will be honest with you. Are you being honest about all aspects? Don’t ask someone you know will tell you what you want to hear.
- Circumstances – What is your situation at this time – or at the time under consideration? Will your circumstances fit with this idea? This is our weakest finger. We can manipulate our view of circumstances.
- Peace – Is your spirit at rest with the decision you’re settling on? Caution. We can manufacture peace to confirm what we desire. And, His will is not always comfortable.
God wants us to know His guidance. “For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose.” (Philippians 2:13)
In what matter will you seek clarification about His will?
Leave a Reply